Thursday, November 10, 2016

1960s' NFL Pamphlets

I found these in a box in my house recently. These are 34-page football guides measuring 4" x 8", issued by the Prudential Insurance Company in 1966 and 1967, which I got in those years.

The 1966 issue pre-dates any football cards I collected, making it the first football-related item I acquired. I don't remember where I got them, maybe they were distributed to us at a Cub Scout meeting.

The inside contains a 1-page pre-season scouting report (including partial roster) for each team. The first few pages features then-Eagles' tight end Pete Retzlaff demonstrating all the exercises included in the "President's Council for Physical Fitness Program", so that we young lads could grow up big and strong.

 I have only shown the covers and the Eagles' pages.

The 1966 edition contains only the 15 NFL teams at the time (no Saints). Without the AFL teams, there are more pages devoted to the exercises, as well as the NFL schedule.


The 1967 edition includes NFL and AFL teams (except for the yet-to-be-formed Bengals), so the exercises section is abbreviated, and there is no schedule section.

1 comment:

Jim from Downingtown said...

I just noticed that on the 1966 pamphlet, the right tackle is not #75 Forrest Gregg. I was thinking "D'oh, the photographer snapped the photo while Gregg was taking a breather!"

After investigating in Pro-Football-Reference.com, during the 1965 season (when the photo was no doubt taken), Gregg mostly played left guard, with Fuzzy Thurston out of the lineup. Steve Wright (#72) started most of the games at RT that season.

(If you've seen the "America's Game" series on the NFL Network, in the 1966 or 1967 episode, Bart Starr says the only time he chewed out a teammate in public was when Wright continually failed to block his man.)